The Phantom of the Opera (1925)

Today's movie of the day = The Phantom of the Opera (1925). This one is the silent film starring Lon Chaney. Thing is, it's in SD and has not had any sound editing so it's not only visually rough but the pops and hisses are distracting. :( It is cool that Lon Chaney (not Jr.) is The Phantom though as our downtown theater is named after him and he was born here in Colorado Springs. One of our favorite sandwich shops, Cheba Hut, has him in a prominent mural on their wall (along with Elvira who went to high school here). For a silent film it's pretty well done. The story moves along and it has just enough mystery to compel the viewer to keep watching. I know the story mostly film the musical but it is pretty much the same. The sets were well designed and the makeup for The Phantom was pretty cool. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I almost started in with the 1943 version starring Claude Rains as The Phantom but it was in Technicolor so I knew I got the wrong one. Fortunately, I found the correct one over on Amazon Prime for $2. Yes, I would recommend this. True, it's 97 years old, but it was still entertaining and a solid classic monster film.

Comments