The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)

Today's movie of the day = The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. This one is 102-years old and a silent film. It was recently restored so the print doesn't look nearly that old. The music was also nice and clear. It is a German film. This one as a pleasant surprise. It was not what I expected (although I didn't really know what to expect) and it doesn't fit the 'mold' of these early monster/horror films. As a matter of fact, this may be one of the first times there is a twist in this genre. One of the things that stood out to me were the amazing sets. They were painted backgrounds, in most cases, but they were off-kilter and made to throw the viewer off. There was some great use of painted lighting to create a strange illusion. The ending made me remember what was happening and I had not thought about the story as a whole until that point. The story itself was pretty good, especially for the time. Yes, I would definitely recommend this one.

Comments