The Blob (1958)

Today's movie of the day = The Blob (1958). I didn't realize when I bought it from iTunes that it was the colorized version so this is the first one that was supposed to be in black-and-white that I watched in color. (I didn't want to buy it again) I've seen this one several times and still enjoy it. Yes, it's cheese but it's fun cheese. I'll take this one over the remake any day of the week. This one has that feel of being an alien invasion film. It also introduced the world to Steve McQueen and Burt Bacharach. One thing that does get annoying about this one is how little time is spent on the Blob itself. There are a good 50 minutes or more of useless things going on. I'm not saying it completely takes away from the story, but it would be nice if they didn't go off on tangents. One thing I chuckled at this time is that when they first realized it was moving on its own they threw acid at it. When that didn't work they said that nothing could stop it. Man, they threw in the towel early back in those days! Regardless of my complaints, it is still a fun film. I'm glad I now own the Criterion collection, even if it is in color. Yes, I will recommend this one, for the cheese factor alone.

Comments