Dr.Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931)

Today's movie of the day = Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931). Overall a good one but it did have some parts that dragged and weren't really necessary to move the story forward. The makeup was decent but every time I saw Mr. Hyde I was reminded of Eddie Munster so it pulled me out of the film a little. There were some cool transition scenes which I don't know how they were done. I say that but there were some bad transition scenes as well. I find it interesting to see that many of these horror films from the time deal with the good and bad of mankind and this one repeats that pattern. There was a scene I was very surprised they got away with as it was almost nudity. Of course, this was before the MPAA so I can see it getting by but in 1932 the risque scene was probably scandalous. Overall a good one but if they had tightenred up the story it would have been better. I will recommend it but with the same idea as some others of these films in the recognition that it is a niche type of film.

Comments