Once (2007)

Since I watched Sing Street earlier this week I decided to watch another from director John Carney.

The story focuses on a street performer, a guitarist, and a single mother. They live in Dublin and both are scraping by but both have musical talent. In an effort to follow his dreams, the guitarist creates music to present in London with the hopes of getting signed to a label.

There were some things I liked more about this film and some not as much. The relationship between the performer and the single mother was solid. They didn't go for the low-hanging fruit. My thing is that I connected more with the music from Sing Street. That being said, both were great in that they created the music specifically for the film so it was fresh.

You can tell this was an earlier film director as some of his shots were a little 'basic' but it doesn't matter. The core and heart of the film didn't need a glamorous edit.

Overall, heart is probably the key takeaway. It's not a romance but there is a relationship that is built. I appreciate that.

Yes, I'll recommend it.

P.S. I'm going to check out another of his films tomorrow with Begin Again.

Comments