The Leech (2022)

So iTunes had a $2.99 pre-order for this Arrow film which was too hard to pass up. Now, ummm, I'm not sure how I feel about it. I either enjoyed it or hate it and I'm not really sure.

The story is of a priest who is very friendly and kind and really cares about his congregation, even though there isn't much of one. He does his best to spread his love of Jesus. One night, he finds a random guy sleeping on a pew as he's locking up the church for the night. Without a place to go in the middle of winter, the priest offers a room in his house for the stranger to spend the night. This rude, lecherous, alcoholic, smoker, drug user takes him up on the offer. From there it is a matter of patience and understanding from the priest as things start to get out of hand.

I say I don't know which way I go with this one. On one hand, it could be a bigger picture film and leads to some interpretation. On another, the pacing is incredibly slow. To me it felt like an extended Black Mirror episode.

Overall I'm torn. It's not one I'll watch with any frequency, as it is completely effed up, but there might be layers to it which can possibly lead to another viewing in the future to unpack it.

I can't really recommend it but if you want to try to decipher it and let me know, go for it!

Comments