The Mole (2022)

Well The Mole is back after a LONG hiatus. Back when reality shows were still 'new' and Survivor was at the height of its popularity, viewers were in a drought waiting for new shows. There was Survivor, The Amazing Race, Big Brother, and The Mole. It took challenge shows in a whole new direction as deceit was the name of the game.

Now Netflix has revived it and I had to check it out. I binged it pretty quickly with eight episodes the first week and the final two the next. It introduced us to a whole new set of eleven contestants and one mole, out to sabotage the team.

Early on I had my doubts about one player. I was 90% sure I was right throughout the series and this player made it to the final two. Thing is, I was wrong about who the mole actually was. By the end I was getting smug that I was right and even at the reveal I was like "It is this person..." Nope.

My thing about this season is that everyone tried to be deceptive to the group which really led to a huge drop in the grand total prize. Yes, you want to throw some suspicion on yourself so people guess wrong at the elimination, but they did so in such a way that made the prize money barely worth it in the end. I wasn't too fond of that.

The winner did a good job along the way. They picked correctly which is a benefit of actually being present versus watching a 45-minute episode encapsulating an entire day. Good job to them.

Overall it was still fun to see play out but it wasn't quite as fun as the old days. Maybe it was because back then it was something new and interesting but it just didn't play out as well this season for some reason. It may also do with the fact that the twelve players were all beautiful 20-somethings and lacked variety. It could have easily been some bachelor or bachelorette type of show.

Still, it was a fun watch. If you have nothing better to do, tune in and check it out. (I much prefer The Circle, however).

Comments