Clerks II (2006)

It's been awhile since I've seen this and with Clerks III right around the corner (and me having my virtual ticket), I felt it was time to revisit the gang. For a long while, Kevin Smith was my favorite director. I loved Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy, etc. We're about the same age and both comic book geeks from back in the day so I connected with him.

Clerks II picks up about a decade after Clerks where Dante and Randal are now working at a generic fast food burger joint called Mooby's. Much like the first film, it is a lot then talking about geek culture like the Lord of the Rings, etc. At this point in their lives, the question of what they are doing working fast food comes up as a recurring theme.

One of the things that works for me with Kevin Smith films is that I'm sure I had/have equally as geeky conversations as these two do. I also wonder if I'll ever leave a mark on the world or just fade into obscurity (most likely the latter).

I'm looking forward to the new film as mortality will be a part of it in relation to Smith's heart attack a few years back.

I did like Clerks better but Clerks II still had its moments. It reminds me of how masterful Smith is at making the mundane connected to reality.

Yes, I'll recommend this one but keep in mind, there is a heavily edited piece of beastiality at the end of the film. (Which is funny and disturbing at the same time).

Comments