Wake in Fright (1971)

Today's movie of the day = Wake in Fright. Continuing my Australian film journey with this 1971 film. And a strange one it was.

This one is a descent into insanity. It's about a schoolteacher in the boonies of Australia who is going to Sydney on vacation. He gets waylaid in a small town for a night which turns into a lot longer.

He meets up with some unsavory characters, loses all of his money, and starts to become like them.

I don't know what Australia has against kangaroos but truly, there are so many films that show them dead or getting killed that it's horrible. This is one of the worst of that batch.

The core of this film is the journey of one man from an educated man to the extent of debauchery. I also wonder how no one died from alcohol poisoning!

Oh, and for you Halloween fans, it also stars Loomis.

This is a hard one to rate. On one hand, it's certainly unique and feels like a darker episode of The Twilight Zone. On the other, it's not an easy viewing. I am glad I've seen it but one viewing is more than enough.

I'll withhold my recommendation on this one as it's a very specific audience. One big reason I wouldn't recommend it is the slaughter of kangaroos which is far too graphic for my tastes.

Comments