Hotel Mumbai (2018)

Today's movie of the day = Hotel Mumbai. This one was not about Australia but it was an Australian film so it fits my marathon. I knew nothing about the events of 2008 so this film was new information to me.

Some things are Hollywoodized but overall I liked it. It was high anxiety for most of the film. It is crazy to think that very few armed men could cripple an entire city. The majority of the material focuses on the hotel staff and guests but the other events are also important.

My favorite character was actually the head chef. I looked at some of the making of after watching the film and he actually had a good friend who was working in the hotel with his wife and two sons, all three of which were killed by the terrorists. Dev Patel did great as always, as well.

The basic non-spoiler story is that Muslim terrorists are on a jihad in Mumbai and hit several 'Western' locations around the city in a carefully planned attack. The hotel, in all of its luxury, is a prime target.

The real story is about the heroic actions of the staff who stay to help the guests. In the extras it says that the majority of the people killed in the hotel were staff who had chosen to stay behind to help.

This film is a high anxiety one which doesn't let you breathe. It's also well done.

Yes, I'd recommend it without hesitation.

Comments