Two Hands (1999)

Today's movie of the day = Two Hands. I'm continuing my Australian film run based on the recommendations from @matt_dyson_

This was one of Heath Ledger's early films and came out the same year as 10 Things I Hate About You. It also started Bryan Brown who I remember from the FX films. Rose Byrne also has a smaller role in it.

This one reminded me of a mix of Tarantino and Ritchie. While the story wasn't quite as tight as they usually have, it was still a crossing of several storylines mixed with circumstance that have me this feel

This one also won multiple awards in Australia. Seeing Ledger on screen this early in his career really makes me wonder where he'd be today. I would venture to guess on the same level as A List actors. He was solid in the role and, even this early, you can see he had acting chops.

The story focuses on his character, Jimmy, who takes a job from a crime boss only to mess it up because of a seemingly simple mistake. There are twists and turns throughout, with one big surprise partway through that I was absolutely not expecting.

The only way to view this digitally here in the United States is to rent the SD version from Amazon Prime.

Yes, I'd recommend this one if you are a fan of Tarantino, Ritchie, or even Rodriguez (to a lesser extent). The story was well crafted and the acting was good. Another good recommendation from Matt. :)

Comments