Boy (2010)

Today's belated movie of the day = Boy. It was Taika Waititi's second film he directed back in 2010. I am guessing it was filmed in New Zealand.

I enjoyed it. It's a good coming of age story of the main character, Boy. Without giving anything away, Boy takes care of his brothers and cousins in a remote location near a small village. His mother died giving birth to his brother and his dad had been in prison but ends up returning home.

I wasn't sure what to think at first. I always enjoy the quirky nature of Waititi's style. It's unusual and offbeat which is a reason I enjoy it. I just wasn't sure at first as it was a little too childlike but the point of the film is that it was about growing up so he achieved that well.

The film has heart and by the end of it I really enjoyed it. I bought this one on a whim, being I enjoy the director's works, and I'm glad I did. Now I need to see his first film, Shark vs Eagle.

Yes, I will recommend this film. Just be aware the first half hour may be a bit quirky but it gets to the heart of the story after that.

Comments