As Above So Below (2014)

Today's movie of the day = As Above So Below. It was interesting. I felt it was kinda like The Descent meets Event Horizon meets Indiana Jones.

If you're claustrophobic, this isn't the film for you. I give kudos to the actors and filmmakers on this one as conditions for filming were pretty tight. I watched the three-minute extra about filming and it said that after twenty days of filming that people started getting a little cuckoo. I'm not claustrophobic but I can see that as the endowment was creepy

I'm split on the story. The first two-thirds of the film are pretty good and more grounded in the creep and claustrophobia aspects of the film, which are bad enough. Then the final third completely flips the script and I wasn't so keen on it. I believe they could have achieved the same results without relying on the supernatural side of things. To me it felt somewhat tacked on and thrown together.

I did enjoy it overall. The majority of the film was solid. True, the explorers have some dumb decisions along the way, but hey, they're only human. My only disappointment is the last third and that is only a minor one.

Yes, I think I will recommend this film but, like I said before, not if you are claustrophobic.

Comments