Batman: The Doom That Came to Gotham (2023)

A new animated DC film means I'll be watching. The DC animated films are way better than most of the live-action ones and I stand strongly by this statement.

The story in this one is set in 1920s Gotham but still has the main characters, albeit in slightly different roles. Bruce, Dick, and Alfred have been all over the world learning how to become Batman. When in the Arctic (or Antarctica, I'm not sure which), Bruce comes across a failed expedition led by Oswald Cobblepot which has unearthed something horrific. When Bruce returns to Gotham he finds a world of the supernatural that he will have to deal with to stop an ultimate evil from entering out world.

It was a good entry into the franchise and a fun H.P. Lovecraftian story. The steampunk look also fit Gotham very well. There were some good characters and a lot of familiar faces. One of the ones I really wish they'd use more of, across the DC animated films, is Etrigan/Jason Blood. He was in this but only briefly. Funny thing is, my son and I are almost done watching the Batman Animated series and in one of the last episodes they introduce Etrigran so this is the second time I've seen him this week!

Overall, the story was decent. I do, however, think that Hellboy did it better and it felt like a bit of a rip off from that. It almost had the same storyline, in a way. That's OK, however, as I like both.

I'll recommend this one. Keep in mind, it's not the 'traditional' Batman story so it might feel out of place but for what it is, it was entertaining, for sure.

Comments