Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975)

Today's movie of the day = Picnic at Hanging Rock. My next to last Australian film in my marathon. I can't remember who recommended this one to me.

This one was completely pointless. Sometimes the Criterion Collection films take artsy fartsy over story and content and this was one of them. It ultimately led nowhere.

The story is about a group of boarding school girls who go to Hanging Rock for a school outing. Four of them go wandering and only one returns. The rest of the film is sorta about the town attempting to find them. I say sorta because very little of the rest of the film really has to do with this. It just wanders aimlessly.

This one did have a very young John Jarratt in his second feature film role.

I'm not going to recommend this one. It just doesn't go anywhere and by the end I was thankful it was over!

Comments